<br>

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I am here. I promise.

My good friend {might as well call her a sister.. as that is what we will be eventually.. by marriage, of course} texted my today and said, "Girl, you are really slacking on your blog!" She is right! A first year teacher and moving to another place in the second week of school is a bit much!


This post is a little bit random, as I started missing my blog and my blog friends, so I just wanted to write to let you know how I am doing! 

As of next week teachers at my school will be in the full swing of things. I am excited to announce that I will be helping with the Scholar Bowl team with two other teachers on my team. 
So far my kids are really awesome; there are a hiccups every now and then, but I assume that is what comes with the emotional roller coaster of being a first year teacher. Do you have any advice for a teacher that has frequent headaches at the same time every day [hope you get my drift]. I know it is not me getting enough caffeine--I am getting plenty, I know it has nothing to do with my surgery I had at the beginning of the summer--it is a different kind of headache. It can only be one thing... what do you find yourself doing to make deter those? 

As many of you know, I am doing Interactive Student Notebooks (ISN) in my class. They have taken a little longer than expected to understand the concept, but I have modeled it for them and it seems a little better. Do you have any advice for keeping it going hoping they will catch on with the concept and the idea (even though I feel like I have thoroughly taught and retaught what it is)? I will be back tomorrow with some pictures of some of my student's ISNs. 

Hope the beginning of your school year is going smooth! <3 Thank you in advance for any advice you're willing to give!

2 comments:

  1. The biggest lesson I learned during my first year teaching is to never stop modeling. Even when you think they "get it," there's always someone who needs to watch you do it first. As tempting as it may be to just let them at it, you save yourself time (and a headache?) by walking them through EVERYTHING. I even had to do this when it came to putting things in their binders (despite the fact that I color coded each section to match the tabs).

    As for the headache, I can only sympathize. Keep some Advil in your desk. Chocolate helps too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing Interactive Notebooks as well this year, and I plan to model everything for the first six weeks! I'm sure I'll get someone who doesn't understand what I want them to do.
    And I feel you on the headache. Second what Miss Lifesaver says - chocolate and pain relief! Also, stay hydrated aside from the caffeine. While too little (when you're used to it) can give headaches, so can too much if you don't have water!

    --Mia
    classyteacherlady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover